Thursday, January 13, 2011

Help wanted: Broken links (and help upstairs)

Periodically on W2tQ I highlight the four care domain links pages, e.g.:

http://hodges-model.blogspot.com/2009/06/heroes-wanted-to-slay-monster-or-just.html
http://hodges-model.blogspot.com/2010/02/topicscape-care-domain-links-in-3d-for.html


Simon Phillips emailed me, copied below: (edited removing the actual broken links)
------------------
Peter,

I am writing to notify you of a small issue that I have just found on one of the pages of p-jones.demon.co.uk

http://www.p-jones.demon.co.uk/links.htm

There seems to be a number of broken links on this page. These are the links that I found were not working:
  • Nat. MH Info Center Substance Abuse and MH Services Admin. (SAMHSA)
  • Systematic Reviews: Centre for Reviews and Dissemination
  • Advancing literacy: A review of LIFE 2006–2009 UNESCO
  • Wearable Computer Lab
  • Keldy Forest
Obviously it is not a particularly great user experience when the links of a website don’t work, which is why I thought I would bring this to your attention. I trust you will be able to fix this issue soon.

Thanks for taking the time to read this email and for creating such a useful website.

Kind regards
Simon Phillips
-----------------

Simon runs a website about stair lifts, which provides information on choosing a stair lift and a comparison table of UK stair lift manufacturers.

In response I've corrected the links. I do check them with some automated tools, but as mentioned since 1998... they have become something of a monster. Considering the total number the vast majority are valid.

Before you all dash to check and get in touch :-) which would be greatly appreciated, please note that I can't necessarily respond to all such contacts in this way - but I can see what I can do ...

Many Thanks Simon!